10/11/16

Locker Room Banter #3

I'm not a man and I imagine every man is different and I don't know if any of my male friends will respond to this, but do a lot of men casually joke around with each other about scoring the latest female body?

What Trump casually referred to as "locker room banter", is that kind of banter actually common in male conversation?

Trump's initial response was so casual, it seemed like he was implying his comments were no big deal whatsoever, because all men casually joke around about women's bodies, touching women, kissing a woman before she even has time to think about it, trying to score with a married woman as fast as you possibly can (even if you've been married to another woman for less than a year) and laughingly joking about grabbing some pussy.

So do a lot of men like to brag about grabbing as much pussy as they can get? I hope not and I doubt it, but what do I know?

I know a few men who talk like that, but certainly not most men I know, unless I don't really know them and they tend to do it in groups of other men.

You want to know what "locker room banter" makes me think of? Well the last time I spent a significant amount of time in a locker room was associated with high school gym class, and there wasn't a whole lot of conversation going on in the woman's locker room, and I don't remember any conversation that involved grabbing men and trying to score.

I remember most women seemed a little uncomfortable with their own bodies, so would change their clothes as fast as they could. I remember some women talking about their periods. I remember a few women occasionally mentioning a guy they had a crush on or thought was cute or were otherwise interested in. I remember one woman frequently commenting about how her breasts were too small and she wished they were bigger (she has implants now). So yeah, the locker room talk I remember included women seeming a little bit uncomfortable with their own bodies, but not women blabbing about grabbing random male bodies.

If I back track to junior high, where we didn't have separate gym classes for guys and girls, I remember several guy's getting on my case about my leg hair (I hadn't started shaving my legs yet) and I remember this one obnoxious guy blabbing out stuff about female body parts and how pussy smelled like tuna fish. That guy was frequently making random sexist and racist comments when he was only 13 or so, so I guess he got that sort of commentary from his dad or another family member or something.

In my recollection, males and females were more focused on female looks and body types (especially female breasts) in junior high, early high school age. I remember different men referring to me as flat-chested. Heck, I literally stuffed my bra a few times in junior high, I guess because I felt like the girls with boobs were way more interesting looking than me, and I looked like some ten year old little girl. I don't even remember what I stuffed the bra with. Socks? I probably had pretty crooked looking fake boobs.

The thing is though, that sort of focus on female bodies didn't last very long, at least not in my mind. Maybe it was age 12-16 or so and then I started becoming more comfortable with the real me and coming closer and closer to my own unique self. Sure, I still had and still have plenty of glitches and insecurities about myself, and some of them are appearance oriented insecurities, but they're not based on trying to please the average man or hoping some rich man will be physically attracted to me. I evolved and continue to evolve. Don't most people? I hope so.

I hope that 13 year old boy from my junior high gym class has grown up in terms of his portrayal of women. At least those crude comments were coming out of the mouth of a 13 year old. At least he wasn't a man over 60 who still has locker room banter about female bodies and has never grown up regarding his portrayal of women and who is now running for president.

But the man running for president in the present back tracks my mind way back into the past, when I was overly insecure about being flat-chested and when some 13 year old boy in my gym class blabbed about how pussy smelled like tuna fish.

And any of you present day people who think that having a sexist, racist president who quickly judges women based on their bodies, and quickly lumps entire races of people together, I guess you want to back track into the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment