8/8/23

Stuck in the basement with dead feet and eyes...

Disconcerting dream last night in which I was downstairs in a dank basement and had fallen asleep on the floor. The basement itself was not horrific, it looked like the basement in my parent's home. I don't know why I was sleeping down there though. (In real life, when I was a kid/teenager still living in my parent's home, I would sometimes go down into the basement to be by myself. To poke around at potentially interesting stuff, mostly books that might have been considered inappropriate for my age at the time, so I'd read them downstairs in the basement. The Exorcist for example. I remember finding that book in the basement and reading it. I also sometimes used the downstairs space to walk around in circles and tell creative stories inside my head, before I had reached the point where I could extract the creative thoughts/words in my head onto paper). So I don't have many bad memories about my parent's basement, because it seemed like a place where I could do what I wanted, because nobody else was there.
But in the dream, I was an adult asleep in my parent's basement for an unknown reason and it became disturbing and disconcerting when I couldn't get up. I heard my (dead) dog whimpering from the shut door upstairs and I realized he was probably worried about me or needed to be taken outside. I tried to open my eyes and tried to stand up so I could climb back upstairs and care for him, but my feet wouldn't work. When I quickly fell back down the first time, my initial reaction was that it was just a fluke because I wasn't very awake yet and had tried to stand up too quickly.
But then I tried to stand up again and fell back down again. Several times I tried and kept falling back down on the ground. I started to panic, because it seemed like neither of my feet worked anymore. I also couldn't see very well either and at first I thought that was just because the basement was dark, but then I realized it was because I couldn't seem to open my own eyes all the way or my eyes weren't working anymore. So suddenly both feet and both eyes had lost the powers or abilities that tend to be taken for granted.
I still had to try to manage a way to get upstairs and help my dog, but I couldn't walk normally and couldn't see normally and nobody was there to help me. I tried to tell my dog I was coming, but he just kept whimpering. Last thing I remember is that even though I still couldn't walk or see normally, I somehow managed to slowly stagger my way to the staircase and start clutching the handles on each side and forcing myself up step by step. Then my alarm woke me up before I found out if I could make it all the way up the stairs.
(Maybe the vision issues in the dream were partly because I was trying to wake myself up from the dream, but couldn't until my alarm went off. But it all felt rather unsettling, depressing and doom-ish on a variety of levels...)...

No comments:

Post a Comment