5/16/18

divergent priorities

Sometimes I wish certain people would notice and appreciate my ongoing creative productivity more than feeling drawn to frequently point out the things I don't do enough of a good job at.
Maybe I don't vacuum my floors enough and I don't have an incredibly well organized house.
But my space is my own space and my brain space takes precedence for me.
I have unique art on my mantel. I have tons of poems I've written over the years, poems I've had published, poems I've published by others, handwritten chapbooks I've created, oodles of books I've read and still have to read, all kinds of other art and artsy memories and specific personal expression (creative and otherwise) I've worked hard on.
In my mind, spending ongoing personal time and effort and energy on expression (creative and otherwise), poetry, and art feels more meaningful and important than keeping one's space physically organized, regularly tidied up, and frequently vacuumed.
Your priorities are yours; mine are mine. If you want a primary focus in your life to be frequent house cleaning and organization, then fine. But that will never be one of mine and I'm going to try to stop letting myself care enough to get so upset about accidental insults about my different priorities in life. We have divergent priorities and that's just the way it is.
With that said, I would like to make an effort soon to spend some time organizing all my books and chapbooks and other poetry/art stuff and that will take a long and involved time/effort that will be more exciting and interesting than sweeping and vacuuming my mind to meld into someone else's priorities.

No comments:

Post a Comment