3/17/17

PJ Harvey's Sheela-na-gig

Sheela-na-gig is the first song I ever heard by PJ Harvey, my second year in college maybe?
This song is what got me into her in the first place. It's from her first album, "Dry", which came out in 1992 (and was a pretty short album - and I think her second album came out shortly after her first album in 1993).
Over the years, she's had lots of different albums come out and a lot of them are really stylistically different from each other, and some I like better than others (I especially love the first three; my personal favorite is probably her third album, "To Bring You My Love" whose overall style strikes me as artsy Goth rather than dress style/dance club Goth).
When I first heard this song, probably before I was even 20, I loved her voice and lyrical stylings right away. She seemed unique, she seemed different, and she seemed like she was purposely choosing to express whatever the hell she felt the need to express, which is what should always be done with poetry/art/music in my opinion.
The title of the song, "Sheela-na-gig", refers to figurative carvings of naked women displaying an exaggerated vulva. To me, the song lyrics were an implication about how some men interpret some women as nothing but body parts with holes to penetrate. In some men's eyes, who cares what might exist beyond that temporary penetrative hole.
If a woman enjoys her own body and sex as much as the man, then that woman must be some sort of slutty slot machine, who you could temporarily fuck the shit out of, but then quickly move on and never think about that sort of female as a serious partner or potential wife, because come on. Serious women can't be as into their own bodily pleasure as hard working men are for fuck sake.
Any woman who is really into her own body focused pleasures must just be some self-focused, body-focused exhibitionist, on display for men's eyes. Heck, women who sexually exhibit their own bodies are nothing but body-focused whore flesh in some men's eyes (even in some other women's eyes too). Only men are supposed to offer sexual commentary about female bodies. Women aren't supposed to offer their own bodies for anything other than male-focused sexual pleasure or for non-exhibitionistic procreation.
Anyway, that commentary derived from part of how I perceived this song 25 years ago.
And actually, well beyond that twenty plus years ago (or more recently than twenty plus years ago, I should say), it's still too bad that when you're a slightly exhibitionistic woman with a high sex drive, a lot of men just seem to view you as a hot quick temporary fix sort of sex partner body, without much mind or depth beyond that.

No comments:

Post a Comment