7/28/13

Why I don’t always like the phrase ‘lucky to be alive’

Because yes everyone is lucky to be alive, but repeatedly hearing that phrase directed at me in particular makes me feel as if I‘m supposed to focus on feeling lucky to be alive more than focusing on actually living. 

Because I don’t want to over-focus on the fact that certain life experiences might be a little more risky to me than to the average person.  After all, I’ve always been a bit of a risk taker in certain degrees – and for the most part, I don’t regret that – and I don’t want to feel as though I shouldn’t take any little risks anymore, because I’m so lucky to be alive I should just sit around feeling lucky instead of having a new life experience that might include small risk factors.

Don’t tons of things include small risk factors?  Is NEVER TAKING A RISK really good advice?  Some people might say yes.  I say no.  I’m not saying I’m going out of my way to take silly risks without even thinking, but if I think about trying something different that is not wildly unsafe and I decide to go for it,  then I’d like to be encouraged rather than discouraged.

If I had written this a few days ago, it would have been much more negative, bummed, and upset feeling  - but now I’ve thought about it more, reasonably considered whether it was over-risky or not and decided it wasn’t – and I’m going to do it.


Why should I not partake of a one-on-one new life experience and see what happens?

3 comments:

  1. You are 100% right, you mound of glittery ooze. I think your loved ones are mis-using a good phrase. "Just lucky to be alive" is supposed to be a good thing. Making it out of a bad situation and having the scars to prove it. Being a survivor. That's something to celebrate and walk (run!) forward from and with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Furthermore, I'm not just "lucky to be alive". I'm even more lucky to be a "mound of glittery ooze".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is what I desire from someone who cares about me - motivation, encouragement, inspiration, and enhancement.

    ReplyDelete